Subject: FW: Response to inquiry sent on May 30th 2025
From: Jaanus Kirikmäe - OKK <[email-masked]>
To: Õiguskantsleri Kantselei - OKK <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2025 10:27:08 +0300

From: Anastasia Sanchez Fernandez - JUSTDIGI
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >
Sent: Thursday, August 7, 2025 11:17 AM
To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
Cc: Heddi Lutterus - JUSTDIGI <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >; Marii-Elisa Pärna - JUSTDIGI
<[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> >;
Jaanus Kirikmäe - OKK <[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> >
Subject: Response to inquiry sent on May 30th 2025

Hi

The Ministry of Justice and Digital Affairs of Estonia has received Your
letter dated May 30th, 2025, regarding the decision from July 14th, 2021,
of Arbitration Court of Moscow and the application of the Ministry of
Justice of Russian Federation submitted in May 2024, to the Ministry of
Justice and Digital Affairs of Estonia. Please be informed that the
Agreement between the Republic of Estonia and the Russian Federation on
Judicial Assistance and Cooperation in Civil, Family and Criminal Matters
(hereafter the bilateral agreement) is no longer in force from 18 March
2025.

The terminated bilateral agreement did not include any provisions
regulating the relations between the contracting states after the
termination of the agreement, including the question of the outcome of any
requests made before the termination date. According to the Article
70(1)(a) of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties (1969), the
termination of a treaty (in the absence of a separate agreement or
provision in the treaty) relieves the contracting parties of any further
obligation to perform it. Therefore, the contacting states are not obliged
to process, under the bilateral agreement, any requests submitted before
or after its termination date.

Best regards,

Anastasia Sanchez Fernandez
Adviser
Ministry of Justice and Digital Affairs of Estonia

***ATTENTION*** This e-mail and any attachments may contain official
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately, delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any
dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the
intended recipient is unauthorized and may be unlawful.